Thursday, September 29, 2011
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
I don't know what place flowers have in Your Grand Plan.
Maybe they're not meant to do anything more than bring joy and pleasure to all who see them.
If that's it...
Monday, September 26, 2011
The average child gets 9-12 colds a year; that calls for chicken soup, some TLC, OTC (over the counter) Benadryl and extra nap-times.
It does NOT call for EMS and clogging up a pediatric ER with your snuffy nosed kids, leading to 2-3 hr waits - as you grow ever more pissy and whiny about how long you've been sitting there and how if you were a different color, nationality, religion, ethnic group, etc you'd have been seen faster.
Sunday, September 25, 2011
sadly, I knew most of the words!
Oh, this is just too much fun!
idea first seen here
I'm taking comfort today in the Collect from last Sunday... which has long been one of my favorites - even ending up in one of my sampler designs 25 years ago!
Saturday, September 24, 2011
I believe that if you don’t want to do something, then sit there and don’t do it; but don’t expect people to hand you a corn beef sandwich, wash your socks and unzip your fly for you.
God, I love that!
And I love the man about whom I'm going to complain bitterly…
My mother was a less than perfect parent – another gasp -
No one parents like they think they will.
No one can predict what life is going to dish out.
We all do the best we can.
My brother hasn’t seen our mother in over 7 years - so please excuse my skepticism about his protestations that he ‘loves' her.
If you refuse to have a relationship with her, then sit there and don’t have one.
Don’t expect me to make you feel better about what you're doing - and NOT doing.
You’re not the only one frightened of the genetic component that seems to go along with Alzheimer’s.
You’re not the only one who would rather be doing a million other things instead of watching her die a slow death, in small increments.
I love you but I’m stepping out of my role as the ‘big sister/ protector’ and saying, as lovingly as I can…
Friday, September 23, 2011
Some friends have suggested I might need this to get me through the next 'political season'...and, I think it's a fabulous idea!
I'm printing it out and putting it over my desk!
While I can’t avoid 2012, I figure I can keep it from making me crazy by deciding on 13 things I won’t do this election season:
1. Threaten to move to Canada if my candidate doesn’t win. (Who would do THAT?)
2. Engage in lengthy political arguments on Facebook with people I don’t even know that well.
4. Donate to a campaign.
5. Allow polls to dictate my mood.
6. Write five blog posts a week about how the Republican Party has co-opted the Christian culture to the point that the two are indistinguishable.
7. Rely exclusively on cable news for my information.
8. Rely exclusively on Jon Stewart for my information.
9. Avoid my conservative friends.
10. Get so preoccupied with the power struggles of an earthly kingdom that I forget my first allegiance is to a heavenly kingdom that expands through patience, love, mercy, and grace.
11. Assume that God is on my side or that a single vote can represent my "Christian values" to the world.
12. Let anyone convince me that I should be afraid.
13. Check Facebook on election night.
original manifesto found here.
How 'bout you?
Do you need a reminder too?