Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Redwork quilts

 About a week prior to seeing Kevin Burns quilts, 
I added one to my own collection as well;
a wonderful example of "redwork" -
which exactly describes what it is -
simple designs worked with red thread upon a white background.

This latest quilt has some unusual depictions of animals
which I found particularly appealing.
It helped make up for the fact that the 'white' background was a dingy yellow/brown
that required 2 days worth of soaking in pre-wash to remove.

The 'birds' were fairly commonplace -
ones I've seen before.




There were flowers which are also a common theme.


The squares, including animals not usually included, 
as well as 'scenes' were the ones I found so delightful.

It might never be in a museum display,
but I love it
and am glad it's being enjoyed again.
And, at only $15.00,
I doubt Ken ever got such a bargain!

No comments: