Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Here we are

 

smack dab in the middle of the holiday season!
Seems like just yesterday, I was waiting for fall.
 
This year, the changes in my mobility have become more apparent;
it took me twice as long to get out the trees (even though I downsized to only 8;
it's not as grand as it sounds; the majority of them are small table top 'feather trees, but still all things that need to be carried up from the basement and set up.

I'm continually re-homing items that haven't made the cut for 2 years in a row -
and loving more dearly the things that do. 
 
By the time I'm "in the home", 
I should be content with 1 tabletop tree and a few Santas -but we'll see.  
Not there yet!
My favorite part of Advent is living in hope; 
believing that the best is 'coming soon'.




There's so much grief and pain in the world 
that it feels indulgent and self absorbed to choose to look for joy in the small moments.
 
I partially absolve myself with trying to stay informed 
as well as remembering that,
for 4 decades,
I was hip deep in all that pain.
 
It's OK to step back; maybe even necessary for ones mental health.

Seeing the season through the eyes of these two is also good for the soul.
Three parties down, four more to go...
enjoying it all while I can!
But wouldn't mind a dusting of snow, 
for atmosphere and to hunker down under the afghans and read.
Deeper thoughts coming soon.



No comments: