Wednesday, July 3, 2024

A much needed reminder

 Everything is on fire,
but everyone I love is doing beautiful things
and trying to make life worth living,
and I know I don't have to believe in everything,
but I believe in that.
 
Nikita Gill
 
 
A recent visit to Chicago was helpful to have had before
the country started its quicksand sink into the pit.
 
A dose of family and reminders of the ties we choose
have been important in grounding me 
in what truly counts and who we can truly count on
It was also fun to have family meet the youngest, who hasn't been able to travel until now.
 
The Crew at the Zoo. 
It was worth the miles, frustration of trying to coordinate schedules for 15+ people
and weather, which is always there to remind you that you are NOT in control of anything! 
There are now NO elementary or middle schoolers up North;
only high school and college kids!
How did THAT happen?!
A visit to the Home Alone house was a highlight for a kid 
that knows the dialogue and every stunt in the original movie;
it's on sale for a few million dollars, if anyone is interested.
Not something we'd pick up, so it's yours.
 
 
 
After a cold rainy day at the zoo,
we were rewarded with the quintessential beach day.
And, boy, did we soak it up!

Have to be honest, some of the glow was dimmed when, 
upon my return, in fact, even before I had unpacked the car,
the decision had to be made to have my companion of 12 years put to sleep.

Oreo had a stroke, in the car, on the way home from the kennel.
I firmly believe she was just waiting for me to get home.
Not going to lie,
adjusting to the new normal without her has been hard.
Anyone else feeling that, sometimes, getting older 
is simply loss upon loss.

Such a good girl;
she'll be missed.

 

No comments: