The full moon rises over the river
(Go in. Do not
be coy).
Yes the wars and yes the hell
and wreckage.
But you cannot save
a life
if you are broken.
Briefly, just this briefly, be here.
(The moon, the chill, the river) -
You are not betraying
anyone
by choosing joy.
Joseph Fasano
Isn't that a wonderful reminder?
It's advice I've taken to heart.
I've been spending time wandering in zinnia fields
And, if there's a more beautiful way to spend time,
I've yet to find it.
Bringing some blooms home to extend the beauty
was a no brainer.
is by welcoming an new addition to my home.
If you've followed me for a while,
you know I've been a 'dog mom' for decades;
primarily standard poodles (60-75 lbs).
and I would tell you that I have reveled in a period of time
when I've not been responsible for another living thing -
although there was certainly sadness
of being without a dog
for the first time since I was 4!
It was quite an adjustment.
Recently however,
there was a concerted effort from my son, DIL and grandchildren
to convince me to add a cat to my household.
I DID resist.
Despite having had 3 cats in the past,
I would have said I wasn't a cat person.
Yet, with my current mobility issues, there was also a recognition
that I can't do justice to another canine companion
and there is also a recognition that.
with a pet in the house,
there's at least an excuse for talking out loud!
So I looked at the posts they sent me of the cats available
from several rescue agencies
and, for weeks,
not one grabbed my attention.
Until 1 set of eyes ...
then, several waits while the owner of said eyes
went through quarantine, isolation and being spayed ...
let me say that I have always believed my dogs chose me
every bit as much as I chose them.
I also believed that couldn't happen with a cat.
When I finally visited her in the isolation cage,
the minute I put my fingers through the cage bars,
she started rubbing her head against them,
then lay on her side, took her front paws
and wrapped them around my fingers.
I've been wrapped around her fingers ever since.
Presenting Fiona
who loves reading on the couch
in the afternoons almost as much as I do!
has been seamless.
I have no doubts that our souls have been together in,
perhaps, more than one of her nine lives!
The biggest indignity ?
I am now an old woman -
who has a cat tree in her home!
How this will change my decorating for Christmas
gives me heart palpitations!
There IS no denying however that the additional life force
in the house again
is part of swimming in joy!















No comments:
Post a Comment