Saturday, June 20, 2015

"Why do you go away?

So that you can come back. 

So that you can see the place you came from 
with new eyes and extra colors. 
And the people there see you differently, too. 
Coming back to where you started 
is not the same as never leaving." 
Terry Pratchett
Though sometimes, 
our journeys and those differences are not very clear.
~~~~~~~~~~
I drove over 4,000 miles in one week.
I'm tired.

I came back to a dog who contracted 
hemorrhagic gastroenteritis 
while in the kennel -
and, almost a week later, 
is still vomiting blood 
(and other mucousy fluids you can imagine 
but don't want to see) 
and getting IV fluids.

I'm praying my other dog doesn't get it as well;
it's viral, 
so there's no telling.

I came back to work
where little has changed;
in fact,
there'll be another move next week,
so nothing is settled there either.

Much of the peace and serenity I found on the Plains
seems to have been left there.

This is the part where I confess
I wish I had been left there too.

No comments: