Saturday, October 21, 2017

It's impossible to say I'm back

since I suspect some portion of my heart will forever remain in Ireland.
If ever there was a country that lives up to all the hype and stereotypes,
it's this one small island -
large on charm, beauty and mystery.
There was so much that felt familiar -
green countryside with low stone walls,
sheep grazing on hillsides,
ancient stone structures whose meanings can be guessed at 
but never truly known,
thatched cottages with roses framing the doorways,
flower boxes spilling over in riotous floral displays,
 tight narrow streets
not made to withstand even the smallest make of vehicle
for modern two lane traffic,
vast expanses of water and land,
legends and lore
about courage, love and loss -
in which to see glimpses of yourself
or to have your heart broken open anew -
as if any of us needed more of that!
And then there's gray -
weather and ancient stone,
some days surrounding you on all sides.
 I'll be going through my thousands of images and impressions
 for the next few days (weeks?) to come
and sharing some in this space,
so if Ireland, traveling and a travelogue aren't your 'cuppa',
get out now while you can -
and check back in a few weeks!

I should be done by then -
although there's no guarantee!

Since several friends have asked,
I'll also be sharing my itinerary
in case any of you want to explore the same loop.

If you don't want all the details,
the 'nutshell' version of my trip was:
it was fabulous,
it was everything I'd hoped for - and more;
I couldn't feel more at home with my 41.4% Irish heritage!

But, be warned;
if you follow all the posts about my Irish adventure,
you may become infected and want to go yourself!

Yes, YOU!
 



No comments: