Sunday, September 6, 2020

For my church family

the shards were handed to me,
with the words
"its all up to you now."
instinctively i cradled them to my breast
and, with a deep exhalation, 
said, yes, okay.

with a lifetime of assuming responsibility
for fixing broken things,
i stoically reported for duty.

then, 
in the moments after the encounter,
 i remembered.

i'm no longer a young girl
hoping to repair a broken family.
 
i'm no longer a lonely wife
hoping to regain a husbands attention and affection.
 
i'm no longer a social worker
hired for her skill to re-frame or reverse 
terrible mistakes in parenting.

 i took one deep breath,
then another,
opened my arms 
and 
let the shards fall.

its not up to me.

we will either pick up the pieces
and create something new with a mosaic we patch together,
recognizing that it will never be what it was before
OR
the pieces will remain where they fell;
we will acknowledge that there's little value
and perhaps no interest
in reclaiming them.
God will be with us in our choice
but the work will ultimately
be OURS.

it's not up to me.


No comments: