Thursday, September 3, 2020

GREAT lakes

Well, two of them:
Michigan and Huron.
Did I mention that the weather was end of the season perfect?
Cool nights, warm sunny days
and lake water that's been warmed all summer.
 There's NOTHING like sitting on the sand,
listening to waves,
feeling a breeze on your face and in your hair;
a breeze that carries the scents of pine and cocoa butter.
Heavenly.
Here's my profound observation/comparison of the two lakes,
for which I can offer absolutely NO empirical evidence.
 
Lake Michigan has more sand dunes and sand based beaches, 
reminding me of Indiana Dunes State park and the beaches back home in New Jersey.
Lake Huron is rockier, 
more like the granite beaches in Maine and New England
 
 The lighthouses are smaller on the Lakes 
than the ones I'm used to on the Atlantic Ocean
but no less charming.

Both the 'old' one on Presque Isle
(above, from 1830)
and the 'new' one,
from 1870.

The pines and woods adjacent to both lakes are blessedly undeveloped


and I was amazed at how clear the water was in both.
So beautiful.

I think, for the first time, I understand what "Pure Michigan' is all about.
After being housebound for nearly 6 months,
I can't imagine a more beautiful way to ease back into the 'real' world.
I can't recommend a visit to Michigan highly enough.
Go see for yourself.

No comments: