Thursday, March 2, 2023

Patience

 IS a virtue and IS elusive, for some of us, anyway.
 
How poor are they that have not patience!
What wound did ever heal but by degrees? 
Wm Shakespeare 
 
I was amazed at the family resemblance yesterday between
my son and WM Shakespeare - 
at least as portrayed by Staffordshire on one of their Toby mugs;
a relic from my mothers home which found its way to my sons. 
 We're both finding our way;
trying to get a schedule of pain meds, sleeping and 'eating', 
or should I say 'drinking',
that works to keep discomfort, starvation, dehydration and going stir crazy at bay.

The difficulty lies in the reality that what works one day
doesn't seem to carry over to the next.
This need for constant monitoring and readjusting keeps one of your toes, for sure.
 
 Parenting someone who is a full blown adult is also a tricky proposition
under the best of circumstances;
unrelenting pain, 
adjustments in perceptions of self,
dietary restrictions on a massive level
and being homebound is NOT
the best of circumstances.

I think both of us are working hard to make this work.
He knows he needs help;
I know this is where I need to be right now - 
and this is NOT a long term arrangement;
there is an end coming.
We just need to be patient.

Luckily, Taos couldn't be a prettier location in which to spend some time -
and end of winter/hint of spring is a gorgeous time
with volatile weather that also keeps you on your toes
with its changeability.
I must also say that its wonderful to see new sights
while doing chores as simple as grocery shopping;
new street art and buildings which look nothing like the ones at home.


I also found a used book store 
 and was able to buy several magazines
that allowed me to make some small collages
(on 3x5 index cards);
just enough to exercise my creativity.
I'm here; not going anywhere.

 
Life: Embrace it all,
but wear boots;
at some point, you'll need to kick some ass.

Wired: a whole different set of skills
 
Just so you know_
sacrifices  are being made.
 
 
No one is prepared when their number comes up.
 
Taking it day by day.
Hoping to be proven wrong!
 
 


No comments: