Wednesday, August 19, 2015

In my happy place,

aka the sunroom,
a place devoid of any electrical device
(the small reading lamp doesn't count),

I used to have a shabby chic, chippy green cabinet.

Not too long ago, as I was sleeping,
the whole thing fell off the wall
with the clatter and boom equivalent of a marauding horde.

Hand to God,
I thought there'd been a break in.
I now know my heart can beat 1 million times a minute 
without me suffering a heart attack.

I have NO idea why,
after 10 years, 
it simply decided to abandon its job
and take a chunk of the wall with it,
but I wasn't taking any chances.

I decided against putting the shelf back up,
(I don't think I could take another scare like that),
so I created a new piece of artwork
(to cover the patched up hole)
and distributed the folk art previously displayed on its shelves 
to new spots around the house.

I think the Minnie's are enjoying their new spots!

My works by KY folk artist, Minnie Adkins, are among my favorites.

I've met Minnie and Garland several times
and have been to their house in the holler
which adds to the pieces charm.



But other pieces,
by different artists,
 never fail to make me smile -


and wonder as well.

Some people think that 'chotchkies' are merely dust catchers


but I know,
surrounding yourself with things that makes you smile
is good for the soul.
Can I get an Amen?

No comments: