Wednesday, February 3, 2016

San Francisco

If you've been there before,
no words are needed.
 If you've never been,
words are inadequate.
 
 

 
 
 
 
“What about San Francisco?"
"What about it?"
"Did you like it?"
She shrugged. "It was O.K."
"Just O.K.?"
She laughed. "Good God!"
"What?"
"You're all alike here."
"How so?" he asked.
"You demand adoration for the place. 
You're not happy until everybody swears undying love 
for every nook and cranny 
of every precious damn --"
"Whoa, missy."
"Well, it's true. Can't you just worship it on your own? 
Do I have to sign an affidavit?"
He chuckled. "We're that bad, are we?"
"You bet your ass you are.”
― Armistead Maupin

This exchange cracked me up.
People who live there all certainly seem to be enamored.

I was lucky enough to stay with a friend
who is one of San Francisco's biggest cheerleaders -
there's nothing about the city -
and its environs -
that doesn't excite and fascinate her...
and rightly so.

And I had no doubt she'd show me the places to go
since she literally wrote the book!
 
 I had a fabulous time.
 If you've never experienced it for yourself,
what are you waiting for?

No comments: