Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Playing again

I used to make 'playing' a part of my day;
playing with my camera,
playing with paints, markers and ink pens,
playing with vintage photos and words...
activities designed to impress no one;
activities for the sheer joy of experimentation
and letting the furies in my head express themselves
in new ways.

But I stopped somewhere along the way;
maybe when I went back to work full time, 
maybe when I started dealing with auto immune illnesses, 
maybe when our country elected a fascist 
and hope took a long vacation.

As I was taking stock this weekend,
I realized how much I missed it;
how much more joy it brought to me
than scrolling through social media,
reading opinion pieces 
and trying to keep up with all things political.

So I threw caution to the wind
and started again.

I turned off all devices, 
didn't speak to a soul,
ate fruits and vegetables
and enjoyed the hell out of a long weekend.

It was like riding a bike down a hill,
the wind coming fast at my face
and riding with no helmet! 
My glue stick and I had a GREAT time!

My scissors were happy to be used again.

I won't be waiting for another long weekend 
before playing again.

My soul needs it far more often.

No comments: