Saturday, March 17, 2018

How the other half lives

Ireland wasn't just all charming cottages and thatched roofs;
 it's simply that I know, in my heart, that's where my people lived.
I am NOT to the manor born.

Others were however
so we thought we'd get a peek at that style of life as well.

We visited Kylemore Abbey,
 the Castle at Kilkenny,
and Powers Court.


 with the expected portraits of ancient virtuous ancestors.
So imagine my surprise to find 
hidden away in a corner
portraits of two women who might not have fit easily into 
the historical and personal narrative 
in which they found themselves.

 I wish the docents had known more about who these women were;
I'm sure their stories would have been fascinating.

I will say the gardens at Powerscourt are enviable.
I might not want a household full of servants to manage,
but a retinue of gardeners,
so I'm not the one schlepping the mulch,
would be fabulous.

 There was also a sweet cemetery for the family pets
in the back of the forest garden.
How much Jack, Fritzy, Morgan and Ophelia 
would have loved the setting.


Lovely and very stately;
just not any place where I'd feel 'at home'.
 I could be happy with far less.

No comments: