Friday, March 30, 2018

Museum of International Folk Art

For those who know me, 
it will come as no surprise to know 
that I LOVE folk art.

Even in my small cottage,
I have a jumbled wall of art pieces I've made, 
collected or been gifted.
I think this carving expresses an intrinsic truth;
a divinely given drive to create exists in all of us;
a desire to be known,
to express our internal truths, 
our unique way of viewing the world,
in an external way.
A sacramental offering of the human spirit.

Given that, 
it will also come as no surprise that my favorite museum in Santa Fe was
the Museum of International Folk Art.

There is no way to cover all of the wonderful objects in this collection;
it covers over 130,000 objects from more than 100 countries.

Suffice it to say, there is something for everyone.
Wonderful examples of tramp art,
incredible weavings
and overwhelmingly complex dioramas;
so intricate that, for me, 
the only way to look at them was to identify small pieces that spoke to me.
Can you imagine making each individual piece?
The Last Supper 
with a peeing dog!
If you get to Santa Fe, 
by all means, 
GO!

1 comment:

usuallyemily said...

Cool! I love all this stuff.