Friday, April 10, 2020

The people of Greece

 Let me start with stating the obvious.

The main economy of Greece is tourism.
People on the islands must be used to people from other countries and cultures 
coming to their world and taking pictures.

For some I suspect, it must be a burden 
and as annoying for them as it would be for us
if someone was poking a camera in your face while you were working
or hanging out on the stoop.
Just living a life.


 To a person however, 
the folks I encountered were gracious, curious and delightful.

Several remarked that it's not often they get asked for a picture;
"it's usually the young beautiful Greeks who are most pestered".

Sorry, not sorry.
When I told them that it might be a reflection of my own age 
but I think they ARE beautiful, 
it usually got a smile and their permission to be photographed.
And, while I can hear how manipulative it sounds, it was the absolute truth.

The one exception to not taking pictures of the young and beautiful -
and even that's only because she was in front of the old and sacred
and I loved the contrast.
Actually I realize she wasn't the only exception.

This young potter was SO charming and talented;
visiting his studio was a fascinating look at commercial and tourist aspects of his trade.



 You know you've become one with your environment
when you start dressing in the same tones.
 When I asked him if I could take his picture,
his reply was "only if you make it look like I didn't agree".
Mission accomplished.

 A Vintner and restaurateur who prepared a fabulous meal for us 
at her farmhouse.
 right across the road from her olive orchard - and view!

I've had that look at work - I call it
'just livin' the dream'.
Good reality check that work is called work for a reason - 
no matter what country you live in.

While searching for the Greek form of 'milagros'-
thin, pressed silver imagery used to facilitate prayers of the people, 
(see them hung/nailed to the bottom of the tablet)
In a small shop, reeking of incense and filled with icons
both new and ancient,
I had an intense discussion about spirituality, belief and faith with the man below.
After locking the shop door, he went into the back room 
and came out with a piece of wood 
that he believed was from the cross on which Jesus was crucified.
 I then listened for what seemed like another hour while he told me about its acquisition.
Good thing I wasn't on a time deadline.

Not just the people OF Greece but the people I was with IN Greece
made all the difference as well.
 True to form, there are always some you get along with better than others,
but it's not really hard to find your tribe.
 In case you can't tell by now, it was a terrific trip -
and a wonderful start to my 7th decade.

No comments: