Monday, August 10, 2020

Low grade depression

 I used to believe that spiritual teacher Ram Dass was onto something when he said
"We're all just walking each other home."

 That statement made sense to me; 
it spoke to my perceived reality that we're ALL on a journey 
on this earth we share,
our journeys ALWAYS involve relationships with others 
and, at our best, 
we're here to help each other out along the way.

The shattering of that perception has been, for me,
 the greatest source of sorrow during the past 4 years.

The election rhetoric which began in 2016,
and which escalates daily,
exposes as a lie the perception that "we're all in this together".

It would be convenient, though inaccurate, 
to place all responsibility for this communal decline 
at the feet of our current President. 
He is a vulgarian exceptionale,
with few redeeming qualities as far as I'm concerned.
I've certainly not hidden my feelings about him 
as the years have rolled on.
If HE was the only factor at work, 
the remedy would be simple;
get rid of him. 

 But the source of my depression has been the realization 
that a sizeable swath of the citizens with whom I share this country
also share in the inane, malignant, racist, 
bizarre and contemptible ideology 
that spews from his mouth on a daily basis.

The science deniers,
conspirators, 
anti-vaxers, 
homophobic,
white supremacists,
evangelical "bring on the end times" Christians
have fallen right in line and continue to support him 
even as our economy, standard of living and world standing plummet.

THESE folks will not be gone after the next election;
they will continue to be an integral part of our country 
for the foreseeable future.

How could I possibly trust them to 'walk me home'
when they're not even willing to wear a mask to protect others at risk?;
when they make clear to anyone who will listen that only 
their lives, 
their privilege, 
their health and
their desires
matter.
And, how dare anyone hold them accountable for the selfishness of their actions.

Still looking for glimmers of light in the darkness,
but, after 4 years, my eyes grow weary -
and I'm tired of looking.




1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Your pictures are words are just lovely. Amazing. I feel as if someone is speaking my language. I think I saved half of your pictures to Pinterest to fawn over regularly. Thank you for sharing all of this.