Monday, December 21, 2020

A sleigh of Santas

 Do you know that there's no agreed upon collective noun for a grouping of Santas?
 
I see no reason why it shouldn't be a 'sleigh' of Santas,
and not hearing any objections,
I'm going with it.

Santa is the focus of the week,
at least in my house.
I thought I'd share images of a smattering of the ones who live here.
 
They come in all sizes,
made from different materials 
and their expressions are all unique.

I have Santa ornaments from my childhood,
generally made from hard plastic;
but its the 'free standing' ones I've collected over the years,
the ones that have seen my boys grow up
that I love the most.












No, it's NOT in your mind;
this deer is definitely judging you -
and finding you lacking.

 
This "eye roll" Santa is a favorite.
I get it, you're tired of pulling the damn sled...
maybe despite his obvious age, he should be called the teenage Santa.






This year is just so different; 
I hope that however you're preparing for the holiday,
you find yourself surrounded with sounds and sights that are beloved;
especially if you can't be with those you love.
I used to think I decorated for Christmas beacuse I had children,
and now a grandson,
or because I worked in pediatrics.
I've come to realize that I decorate for myself.
 
Every Santa I put out brings back memories -
of where I was when I found him
and who I was with.
Family and friends are all around me -
their laughter echoing in my head,
even while I'm alone in the house. 
 
While I might not always be able to haul bins up from the basement
to have such an extensive collection on display,
 I'll try to commemorate the holiday with a few; 
just enough of the trappings 
that I can conjecture up the joy they bring me today.

No comments: