Friday, February 12, 2021

Covid shots and baby steps to increased freedom

 I almost hesitate to write that I've gotten my first Covid immunization - 
and by the end of the month, I will have my second one.
I'm hesitant because I know the inequity involved;
am aware of how many others, in my state and beyond,
are still waiting to hear about available clinics and resources for them
and their health.

Our state is 50 out of 50 in getting the population immunized.
Thanks to a Governor who is a good ol boy 
who doesn't think Covid is any worse than the flu,
has never issued a mask mandate
and refuses to make the health of people in urban areas a priority,
the roll out in MO has been a complete disgrace.

Immunizations, when available, are being prioritized by
age, health conditions and high risk zip codes -
and I don't have a problem with any of that.
I meet 2 out of the 3 criteria - 
age and health risks.
My zip code is NOT generally high risk,
so I was surprised although pleased when my oncologist arranged for me
to get a shot sooner rather than later.
 
SO pleased that, to celebrate,
I drove around town,
by myself and masked -
with a renewed sense of freedom
and cautious optimism.

And I found a house I LOVE.
Seriously, can we talk about the square tree?
Can't wait to see it filled out this spring!

I love the architecture of St Louis -
in all its variety.
I've decided to explore neighborhoods more frequently.
 
Since international travel is off limits, for now, 
I might as well treat my own city as an unexplored treasure. 
Baby steps - and one street at a time.

Mardi Gras Fleur de lis -
doesn't get much more St Louis than that!
Look at the different colored 'snake' lines separating out the floors of this town home 
in Benton Park?

Bloom where you're planted - 
and explore what you think you know.
 
No passport needed.

1 comment:

usuallyemily said...

Yes I completely agree with exploring where you are... Sometimes I picture how I'd look at things in my own town if I were traveling in a different country... You look at things differently then. 💗