Sunday, May 9, 2021

Told you so ...

A few more creatures appeared over the weekend -
obviously I'm not done with my distractions.

May I present,
The Goat who was tired of eating garbage and tried trout,
The Bird who wrote a book
and, my favorite,
The Rooster who retired, wore a bathrobe all day 
and ate hot dogs whenever he wanted.
The giraffe who danced with her budgies
and the grumpy wren also got in on the action.
I also got out my new watercolors
and gave them a try.
 
Baby steps -
or practice makes mediocre.

I've wrestled hard this week with expectations; 
with comparisons to others with more talent, 
innate ability 
and training.
 
The reality is that you don't have to be good at art to make art.
It's part of the human experience to be able to express yourself
and art is just that - an expression of self.
 
You can love the making of something -
and that's enough.

I've found my primary expression, for years, in verbal and written skills;
its a wonderful change to use the instruments of markers, scissors, glue and paper
and see what emerges.
I've always found joy in simple things.
There's no reason why my expressions in art can't be simple and naive as well.


No comments: