Monday, March 11, 2024

Moms birthday

 Today is my moms birthday. 
She would have been 99, 
which wouldn't have been impossible, 
since that's how old her mother lived to be. 
But my mom wasn't her mom.
 
I've written before about how conflicted and complex our relationship was,
(as if every mother/daughter relationship isn't!).
I don't feel the need to do it again.
 
I recently read a reflection though that summed up perfectly
how I was feeling.
So, even though the words aren't mine,
the sentiments ARE.
In another universe,
I meet my mother
when she is a child.
We go for a walk at the seaside
and she tells me all the things
she loves about the world.
We share a hundred jokes
and she laughs so easily,
without a single worry.
I want to meet that version of her.
Wide eyed and full of joy.
Easy laughter and carefree.
Before the same world
she loved so deeply
broke her heart.
Nakita Gill
 
Happy heavenly birthday, Mom.

 

No comments: