Thursday, June 28, 2012

I'm back!

I guess I should just be grateful it lasted as long as it did…

I should have known noon would be a stretch.


Maybe it was because I’d just come from the land where people have last names like ‘Her Many Horses’, ‘Red Kettle’, ‘Running Enemy’, “Standing Soldier’, “Bad Milk’, “Crazy Bull’ and ‘Kills In Sight’; maybe names like Smith, Jackson, Johnson, Black, Green and White are too mundane to remember.

But when folks bring in a toddler they’ve supposedly had physical custody of for the past two years but can’t tell me his last name, where his mother is, her birthdate or anything about her and then go on to say they ‘dropped  him off’ at the home of the grandmother of his oldest brother (who, of course, they can’t name or provide an address for either), “lost track of him for a month” and were then called by a person they only know as ‘Big G’ to come pick him up (at an address they can’t remember) after he sustained an iron burn to his arm… it makes me crazy!!

This kid had no fewer than 15 caregivers in the past month; none of them related to him; none of them with any permanent address – or last name apparently – and none of them with the ‘legal rights’ to be involved at all in his care.

And, not surprisingly, not a single one had any explanation for how there came to be the imprint of a steam iron on his arm!

Good grief – I’ve seen rez dogs treated better.


Welcome back to our healthcare system!

And there's NO provision in Obamacare that will begin to address the hot messes that come to our ER every day!

No comments: