Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Through Pilgrim eyes

I think I’ve turned a corner…
maybe not physically 
but certainly in my understanding 
of what’s going on 
with my leg and my hip.

I came across a Nigerian saying the other day – 
The day on which one starts out 
is not the time to start ones preparations.

I’m embarking on changes for the rest of my life – 
career changes, to be sure  - 
but also changes in the way I care for 
and relate to my body 
and what it’s capable of.

I think my recent injury, 
struggle and pain 
are all part and parcel of lessons I need to learn - 
that the changes won’t be easy; 
nor will they be fast;

nor will they necessarily fit my idea 
of the rate of speed 
at which they should occur.

And, 
while I can seek help from others 
who are there to guide me, 
I’m, ultimately, the one who will 
have to learn to listen to my body 
and do what needs to be done
to move forward.


On some days, 
that might be pushing myself in physical therapy 
and on other days, 
that might be letting myself read on the couch, 
resting.

I'm also fairly sure there's a reminder in there 
(which I intend to heed) 
about how fragile these bodies of ours are 
and how much I've taken mine for granted!

I’m not retiring and leaving for the Camino tomorrow 
or next week 
or next month.

I've started the preparations.
I’ve put things in place 
and continue to head in the direction 
I intuitively know is right for me –
past the fear, 
past the security of only doing what I’ve done for so long.

Comfort zone??
I’m WAAYY past that now!


I’ve got to start NOW to have pilgrim eyes –

eyes that can see the long path 
and keep moving forward 
yet paradoxically
being content to take it as it comes.

No comments: