Thursday, March 15, 2012

If I ever had any doubts

or questions about liturgy and ritual being forms and forces for healing, they were swept away last Saturday.

To a person, the Memorial service for my Mom was described as an authentic expression and acknowledgment of both the brokenness and grace in my mothers life and in our family's life;


and through it's honesty, it was healing.

I'm so glad I didn't chose to ignore their power - or our need for them.

Having both my sons there, as well as 'family' from Chicago and dear friends, helped keep me grounded in the reality that biology doesn't always determine 'tribe'.

It was also the first time in over 25 years that my brother, sister and I had been under the same roof...

I can't help but think my mom was smiling during our time together.



She also would have loved the flowers... all her favorites were included... irises, forsythia, pussy willows, roses and ruffled tulips!

Surprisingly, it was a good weekend and, when it was over, I felt emotionally drained but terribly relieved.

No comments: