Tuesday, March 27, 2012

this one's for you

Do you ever find yourself wishing you had paid more attention as a child?

Your adult self trying desperately to remember the way a beloved relative spoke or smelled; the way their hand looked and felt as it calmed you with a gentle touch; the lessons they tried to teach you?

My childhood was a fairy tale - from the Brothers Grimm - but after decades of time with a therapist and the cost of multiple Harvard degrees, a certain measure of acceptance and forgiveness has been achieved.

THE bright spot in my life was my great grandmother - part Native American and all unconditional love.

She's vividly etched in the memory of my heart and yet I'd love to have captured more of her truths.

One of her sayings that I do remember and one which gave me great comfort even as a child is pictured below.

I've come to realize how profound her saying is - and I've come to realize that, while I was thinking of it as balm for whatever drama was transpiring in our family at the moment, Nanny was referencing a more timeless truth.

Some things don't get resolved or healed in this lifetime, but there's always hope "in the life of the world to come".

No comments: