Sunday, May 13, 2012

Ignore 'conventional' wisdom


Do you believe this is an actual sign from the McCarthy era?

Well, this area was teeming with 'dangerous' people this weekend - and it couldn't have led to a lovelier day!

It started with a plein air painting competition at sites all over town.
I loved seeing so many artists chose our every day locations and turn them into objects of beauty.



The courage to put your talents - and process - on display amazes me!



From watching artists in action, I was able to go to an Art Fair at a local Sculpture Park and see wonderful finished pieces by artists from all over the country.

I, of course, was drawn to the colorful and quirky!






And, I cannot lie, a couple of pieces came home with me ...  prints to benefit a dog rescue:
one for me -


and one for a friend, but don't tell - it's a surprise!

And two multi media collages by an Iowan artist whose work I've admired for years.



I love all the elements in her pieces and how symbolic they are - and self affirming.

Believe in your truth...
yes, Ma'm!

 In the small bottles are the means to do just that... a spring (for resilience), magic (pixie dust/glitter), sparks, seeds (of wisdom), softness(silver threads) and safety pins (to keep it all together)!

The message on the spoon - which stands for 'home and being fed - "It is the small things that make the greatest difference."

Love, love, love it!

Even if I had to rearrange and move pieces I already have to make room.




All in all, a perfect way to forget the past few days at work and


The other thing I observed, which made me smile, was how different the food choices were...
of course there was kettle corn... I mean, really, what would a 'fair' be without kettle corn...

but a wine tent?

Grilled eggplant panini... lobster/crawfish risotto cakes... not exactly deep fried twinkies territory!


It couldn't have been a prettier day!

artist, Marilyn Bradley

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That artist sign from the McCarthy time is just crazy. Loved seeing all the different art. I wish I could just sit down like those artists and paint what I see in front of me. So jealous.

aimee said...

Looks like you had a lovely weekend! I wanted to go to Laumeier but I was working. Maybe next year?