Thursday, September 6, 2012

From South to North

The warning voice of my dermatologist careened in my head this morning as I looked at the sunburn acquired yesterday during my hours on the beach. (Hey, it was overcast with a cool breeze - perfect reading weather - you'd forget the sunscreen too!)

So, with the vision of my needing a Phantom of the Opera mask if he finds it necessary to remove more of my nose skin, I decided to use my better judgement today and stay out of the sun. (Easy to do since rain was forecast... I'm NOT that much of a compliant patient - which comes as a surprise to exactly no one who knows me!)

It seemed to be the perfect time to revisit the island from one end to the other... not on bike like I did back in the day, but by car... trust me, even THAT took long enough!

At the Southern end, 1 mile from where I'm staying, there's a National Wildlife Refuge and, since mating and nesting seasons are over for the sand plover, you can actually walk there again.

I love the ruggedness of it - and the quiet.








At the Northern end is the lighthouse (Barnegat Light) - where the Atlantic Ocean and the bay meet.


And, in the 18 miles in between, are shops, small towns, restaurants and houses; the vast majority already on 'fall schedule', if open at all!

It's becoming increasingly hard to find the homes I recognize from 'my' time on the island - the shake shingle saltboxes that have always epitomized 'the shore' to me.





Even the Victorian Grand Dames are getting harder to find...


I can't imagine what their taxes and upkeep must cost!

The 'old' houses are being torn down and replaced by McMansions and, honestly, their 'charm' is lost on me...




I may not have a clue about how the 1% get their money, but I, at least, think I know where some of the upper 10% vacation!
I mean, really - $800,000+ for a second home?!
Obviously, there are NO social workers living here!

I'm an ocean girl myself, so I was amazed at how much build up there has been along the bay...


And just so this doesn't seem like total sour grapes, in the interest of full disclosure, if I EVER win Powerball, I'm buying either one of these two homes...



I promise I'll keep a room ready for ya!

I was delighted to see that the public library is still the same!
My grandmother used to walk here every Saturday, get 5 books, read them during the week, take them back and check out 5 more...


Nanny would proud of me - so far this vacation I've read 8!!
Nice to know SOME traditions live on!

Only 1 full day left on the island - how did the time pass so quickly?


No comments: