Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Truth is...

*     You can't tell just by looking:
No one seeing me walk the dog in the rain this morning would have guessed that, a few short hours later, I'd be in the middle of the state testifying as a witness in a murder trial.

Just the way I couldn't have guessed that the couple I spoke to in the ER, six years ago, knew far more about what happened to their baby than they were willing to tell us (although we suspected as much) or that the dad would be yanked from the military and charged with her murder.

*     Anyone who raises their hand in court and swears to tell "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" is already lying.


They don't know the whole truth.
They know their piece of it - but it's far from complete - and a world away from being 'whole'.

*     Perspective is everything.
I know this event was fatal for a baby, devastating for her extended family, a lucrative job for the defense, time consuming for the state and expensive for the taxpayers... but it was one death out of hundreds for me and only a portion of one shift out of a 3 decade career... and I can't think of any way to even think that without making me sound like a heartless bitch.

*     If I had known testifying would be such a big part of my career, I wouldn't have worried so much about flunking out of grad school.
Working in a deli or asking folks if they'd like their order 'super-sized' is lookin' pretty good about now!

*     Today, I hate my job.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, what a story. What a shame, for a lot of people.Have you had to testify alot over the years?

Donna said...

Mark - sadly, yes, I testify in all kinds of courts (Family, civil and criminal) about 2-3 times a month. Get twice that many subpoenas but many are either 'continued' or 'settled' if we all show up to testify. So lots of trips to court without ever getting on the stand! Can't say the hospital is crazy about all my time out of the building either!!