Saturday, September 15, 2012

When did this happen?

Maybe it's because I've only been back from vacation for 1 week; maybe because I was so focused on sun and the sea and being on the beach... but cool grey weather, Halloween objects and pumpkins at a flea market  today came as quite a shock.


Not altogether unwelcome, just surprising.

Candles have come back out and the scent of vanilla wafts through the air tonight.
Quite a change from the summer we've just experienced.
Can't say I'm sorry to see 100+ degree temperatures go.

The change of seasons makes me even more grateful for my two souvenirs from the islands only antique store ...

an oil painting that now hangs on the wall directly across from my bed.
No famous artist but someone who perfectly captured a storm at sea.
Since I can't wake up to the ocean every morning, this will have to do.
I love it!
(yeah, I know... I'm easily satisfied!)

The other memento was a small plastic dog which reminded me of Pearl...
yup - you see it too, don't you?

But then fall comes, kicking summer out on its treacherous ass as it always does one day sometime after the midpoint of September, it stays awhile like an old friend that you have missed. It settles in the way an old friend will settle into your favorite chair and take out his pipe and light it and then fill the afternoon with stories of places he has been and things he has done since last he saw you.” 
 Stephen King, 'Salem's Lot

Fall ... not sorry to see it's here at all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, Fall crept up on us. You'll be seeing Christmas commercials any day now.