Sunday, September 29, 2013

It was a lovely weekend...

with much to be thankful for.

A commitment ceremony in church for a friend and his partner
who have been waiting almost two decades for the church 
to recognize and bless their love.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't particularly follow sports
but the Cardinals are a big deal in this town...
and I love the sense of community that gets fostered
with all the playoff hoopla.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was contacted recently by the author of a book I marked as 'read' on my Goodreads page.
I don't think I even reviewed it - although I did give it 4 stars.
It was a first person account of walking the Camino.
A Million Steps by Kurt Koonz.
I enjoyed it.
I never dreamed I'd get a personal 'Thank you' for having read the book -
from the author himself.
We communicated a few times, via email;
he even commented on my Camino blog!
Nice touch!

No matter how engrossed I get in a book,
no matter how compelling the characters are
or how much they stay with you after the last page,
I think about the persons in the book as fixed
and contained only within the pages...
it was nice to be reminded that there's an author,
there's a real person behind the words,
telling his story to the best of his ability,
sharing his truth.

I liked the reminder;
I liked the gesture.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was so beautiful this weekend.
I was going to work in the yard.
I was going to take the dogs for a long walk.
I was going to go down to the basement 
and gather up more items for the church rummage sale 
next weekend.

But I didn't.
I did THIS instead.
 I think I should feel guilty - 
but, I don't.

As I said,
it was a lovely weekend.

No comments: