Friday, November 30, 2012

Cottage industry

Every year, one of our favorite family traditions was a holiday project that would extend over the whole Thanksgiving weekend and involve everyone in the family.

Creating snowglobes, felt Santas, quilted stockings ... we were a crafty bunch!
Stages of the projects were spread out around forays to antique malls, meals of delicious left overs and watching holiday TV specials.

Everyone looked forward to our souvenirs of long holiday weekends together.
As I unwrap these gems every year, the memories come flooding back.

Without a doubt, my favorites are the ones we made with Plaster of Paris poured into antique chocolate molds.

I love how the 'raw' ones would come out - all white, even rusty


and be transformed by paint and some glitter into holiday treasures!


You can never have too much glitter, right?!


In fact, these were so much fun that I was inspired to seek out a new mold this fall and create a new project for myself this year.

It's been 'curing' since Thanksgiving night - and should be ready for prep and painting this weekend.

My whole family might not be joining in the creativity this time around, but I know they're with me in spirit!

Stay tuned for the angel 'reveal' later!!

No comments: