Saturday, February 4, 2012

Forgive and forget... not so much

You laugh, head tipped back
For a second, I remember you
from a long time ago
So familiar, yet so changed
We make small talk
Onlookers think
Isn't that nice
There is a serious
Droning
In my head.
I feel my jaw clench
And then again.
You lean forward
Interested
I must be talking
But somehow
Even though I know
I have forgiven you
Long ago,
I am poised,
Ready to flee
To protect
Myself
From you.

To forgive
Does not mean
To ever forget.
How could it?

Found this here after returning from dinner with an old 'friend' and it rang so true that I felt the woman who wrote it must have been inside my head the whole time.

Sometimes words from a stranger can be more expressive than our own.

forgiveness... a tough nut to crack... even when you're working on it!

No comments: