Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Memory Lane

Chocolate heart –

and one memory coming right up…

My first crush?
As clear as yesterday…

5th grade.
Billy Ding – he of the smoky, sultry eyes, with lashes longer than any girls in the class;
dark hair, slicked back in a perfect 'duck tail';
jeans (OK, they were navy blue 'chinos"-what did I know back then?),
paired with a white Tshirt –
the quintessential James Dean wanna be Rebel -

a perfect counterpoint to my ‘Villager’ sweater sets, pointy Dixie cup training bra and a 'flip’, courtesy of Dippity Do.

There was even a rumor he might be 'eye-talian'!
The closest to an ‘other’ that my suburban NJ hometown could conjure up back in the late 50's.

Fantasies abounded - until I realized, when we married, my name would be Donna Ding …
and quicker than you could say “Badda Bing, Donna Ding”, it was over.

Yes, I’m exactly that shallow!

No comments: