Thursday, August 16, 2012

August 16, 1969


Woodstock was in its 3rd day
in upstate NY; 
astronauts from Apollo 11 
were walking on the moon 
for the first time; 
Sen Ted Kennedy just pled guilty 
to leaving the scene of a fatal accident 
in Chappaquiddick (MA) 
in which a girl from my hometown 
was drowned; 
the median income per yr was $8,389; 
unemployment was at 3.6%; 
the price of a first class stamp was .06 
 and 
I still believed in love that would last 
and 
"happily ever after".

In other words, a lifetime ago.

I have never loved or trusted anyone so easily and freely.

Today, 
loss of the ability to abandon myself, 
relinquishing my customary need to control, 
analyze and assess, 
feels like a terrible price to have paid 
for life experiences and "growing up".

I miss the young man I fell so deeply in love with 
and 
I miss the part of myself that allowed it 
to happen.

No comments: