Friday, August 17, 2012

Hair - not the musical

Mine is naturally curly – a reality I have fought against nearly every waking moment since the 60’s when long, blonde straight hair was as essential to a teenager’s life as a bong.

In case you’re curious, I didn’t have that either.
I’ve always been an outlier, but you know that!

It wasn’t until last year, when I shaved my head for Pediatric cancer research, that I finally embraced the reality that I am NOT my hair!

Recently a pictorial pilgrimage into my past had me alternately cringing and wondering what the hell I was so worried about.


I can’t tell you how many HOURS of my life at the shore were wasted plotting the timing of when I could go swimming and get my hair wet  and calculating how fast I could run home to get it set on curlers as big as juice cans so it could dry ‘straight’.

(Keeping in mind that ‘straight’ was ALWAYS a relative term and impacted significantly by the islands humidity level on any given day.)


Try not to hate me because I was so beautiful! 

How wonderful to no longer give a damn not be willing to fritter away beach time consumed with such nonsense nowadays.

I only wish I’d have had the courage of my great niece; seen here in a wonderful shot at a beach in Wisconsin this summer…


don’t you love it!

Yup, that's totally the look I'm going for while on vacation!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I found your words, "...at the shore" interesting. I thought only us North Easterners called the beach THE SHORE.

Love the post, cute and funny, great pictures. And I love your take on the time spent worrying about hair. Funny.

Donna said...

Mark
That must be my 'tell'; I AM from the North East; born and raised in New Jersey! What's the saying... "you can take the girl out of New Jersey, but you can't take the NJ out of the girl!" Not that I'd want to!!