Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Honeymooners


Tom and I honeymooned at Beach Haven – following in the tradition of my grandparents

and my parents before us.


We were given the exclusive use of my grandparent’s house for 10 days.

At that point in their lives, they were long since retired and made the ‘snow bird circuit’ from their summer house in NJ to their winter house in FLA.

They assured us they would be using the time to explore, 'probably the Carolinas'.
They said they’d be back on the last day to see us off and wish us well as we headed back to the Midwest; returning to college and our totally non-oceanic life in Iowa.

I remember the day we were riding bikes and spotted their car at a motel about 5 miles ‘up island’ from where their house was located.

It was the 4th day of our honeymoon and it’s not that the excitement had worn off already but let’s be honest – it was the 60’s – it’s not like white at a wedding really symbolized anything anymore!

Without any hesitation, Tom turned to me and said, “We’re getting them back home” and, with that, he turned into the motel, went into the office and found out the room where they were staying.

Within hours, we were playing canasta with them on the front porch and “watching the world go by”.

It would have been sooner but we treated them to dinner first.

I loved Tom more than ever that night.


We had a terrific honeymoon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I knew you were a Jersey "shore" person. Beach haven, so cool. I love those pics, classic. What a great story, your Grandparents for doing what they did and you husband for doing what he did. Very cool.