Sunday, May 19, 2013

Art and Iona

Because of the incredible light,
color
and natural typography 
of Iona, 
it has long attracted
artists
of all persuasions...
Two, very different, pieces of art 
came home with me
as souvenirs of a life changing trip.

The one above
of the North End Beach
where I spent so much time
was created by
Gordon Menzies


The one below, by artist, 
Lynne Kerr.

is watercolor on hand crafted paper, 
using silk strands
and, in this case, sheep's wool,
to create a lovely piece,
evocative of the sea
and the coasts
of the Scottish isles.

Wordsmiths also find rich ground
for inspiration
and the poems of
Kenneth Steven became new favorites.

Resolution
And suddenly the sun broke through the sky
And I was home, a broad Atlantic
Stumbled over rocks and creamed in rage
A tug of storm hung low across the shores
Water color blue and broken green.
How did I lose my way or once believe
That there were riches bigger than this simplicity
Or that any other tide could speak, or heal
The wounds of searching deeper cut than pain
Where here I stood by heaven hearing God?

Love, love, love it!

And the one below so perfectly sums up my experience
I feel the poet was living inside my head...
poor Kenneth!
Is this place really closer to God?
Is the wall thin between our whispers
And His listening? I only know
The world grows less and less -
Here what matters is conquering the wind,
coming home dryshod, getting the fire lit.
I am not sure whether there is no time here
Or more time, whether the light is stronger
Or just easier to see. That is why
I will keep returning to this place
That is older than my understanding,
Younger than my broken spirit.

Sometimes
in
all
the
rush
and
hurry
of
our
lives
we
need
so
much
just 
now
and
then
to 
find
an
                                                                         island.

Friends,
I've been lucky enough to have several islands in my life -
and all of them have helped shape me,
by defining who I am
and how I want to live.

But none of them 
more than Iona.

I'm making plans to use the insights,
dreams
and peace
I found there 
to shape the rest of my life.

I'm excited
and terrified - 
not necessarily 
in that order
and certainly
not in equal measure. 
All shall be well...

(Note to self
repeat daily, 
as needed!)

No comments: