Monday, May 27, 2013

If I only had a brain.

Yeah, he could have used one too...
but I was thinking more of some of the parents we see in the ER.

Parents who are adamant about protecting their Constitutional right 
to own a gun 
but, in the process, 
don't do a damn thing about protecting their child's 
right to live!

If you're a convicted felon 
and you have so many people out to get you 
that you have to sleep with a cocked revolver 
under your pillow, 
maybe you should give a thought
 to whether it's safe enough 
for your toddler 
to come visit.


And, if she does, 
then maybe, 
just maybe,  
you shouldn't leave her alone
in the apartment 
while you go out
"to get food from the Chinaman"!

On the other end of the spectrum...

if you're a police officer - 
with both a work issued revolver 
and 'weapons for fun' - 
didn't you have to take classes on gun safety? 

Don't you know the laws about your responsibility 
for keeping your firearms out of the reach of kids?
Frankly, I'm not sure which one of you I feel less sorry for...
for your dead children, I feel all kinds of sorry.

I'm one of those old hippie parents who never let their boys play with guns.

It worked for one...

the other one chewed his PB&J sandwich into the shape of a gun, 
at the age of 2, 
and was hooked from that point on.

Every stick, rock, found metal object etc could be turned into a weapon... 
it's no coincidence that the military is his chosen field!

I get that people are different.
I get that many adults who have the right to own a firearm
can do so responsibly.

But in the past 3 weeks,
we've had 8 kids whose lives have been forever changed
(and, for 3 of them, lost!)
because the adults in their lives
were careless.
If you're going to be a gun owner - 
and you have children - 
I have two words for you...

GUN LOCKS!

Oh, okay,
I admit it, 
I have
two other words too -
DUMB ASS!

'nuff said.

No comments: