Monday, May 6, 2013

Prayer

With Columba being the patron saint of poets,
it seems fitting that I became re-acquainted with a wonderful
contemporary Welsh poet,
and Anglican priest,
RS Thomas,
before I travelled.

His poems were the perfect companions
for my walks along the beach
and I'll be sharing several of my favorites
with more images from the island.


It is alive. It is you,
God. Looking out I can see
no death. The earth moves, the
sea moves, the wind goes
on its exuberant
journeys. Many creatures
reflect you, the flowers
your color, the tides the precision
of your calculations. There
is nothing too ample
for you to overflow, nothing
so small that your workmanship
is not revealed.

But the silence in the mind
is when we live best, within
listening distance of the silence
we call God. This is the deep
calling to deep of the psalm-
writer, the bottomless ocean.
We launch the armada of our thoughts on, never arriving.
It is a presence, then,
whose margins are our margins;
that calls us out over our
own fathoms. What to do
but draw a little nearer to 
such ubiquity by remaining still?

R.S. Thomas



No comments: