Friday, May 10, 2013

Step by step

In case you haven't figured it out after all this time, 
I'm a bordering on elderly woman 
who spends most of her time at a computer - 
when not scurrying from room to room in an ER - 
not likely to be competing in any Olympic events -
 even the Senior version!

So, when I heard friends talk about going to the top of Dun I, 
the tallest elevation on the island, 
I was envious, curious 
yet more than willing to let them have their adventures 
while I strolled beachside.
As I did so though, 
I thought about my dream of hiking the Camino de Santiago 
across Northern Spain 
when I retire 
and decided that THIS pilgrimage 
was the perfect time to start 
seeing my abilities 
in a different way.

The next day dawned clear and bright, 
practically begging for new beginnings - 
and I set off.
There is no trail - 
you enter the crofters field to the left of the barn 
(far left with the multi-colored roof) 
and begin your ascent,
making your own way.
It's marked so you don't inadvertently go down the driveway!
Other than that - you're on your own.

And, as daunting as I thought it would be, 
like anything else, 
it's a matter of taking it a step at a time.
All you need to do is put one foot in front of the other 
and keep going.
Not exactly rocket science!

At only 332 feet above sea level, 
it's not like climbing Everest or K2 - 
only you couldn't have proven it by me that morning!
What a glorious feeling to be on top -
and see 
from an entirely new perspective 
all the places below I had been traipsing around 
for days!
and to think,
my stubby little feet got me there!
I took this shot to remind myself 
that there's another world out there -
and I'm determined 
to be in it!
I added my rock 
to the cairn
at the top of the peak
and began my descent.
While I obviously made it back to the hotel,
and ultimately,
 back to the Midwest,
truth be told,
I don't think I've actually come down 
from the peak 
yet! 

No comments: